The Technical Consulting Network Engineer works for and under the general direction of the Manager, Network Engineering. Responsibilities include planning and designing the network infrastructure and enterprise network solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering network systems. Also analyzes capacity issues and make recommendations. Responsible for ensuring planned testing activities are executed and for developing network security guidelines.
1. Conducts planning, network design and implementation to meet network requirements for the design and build of the data center and national wide area networks.
2. Strong working familiarity with Cisco IOS with hands-on experience configuring Cisco routers, Cisco Nexus switches and Juniper SRX and Cisco ASA firewalls in a data center environment.
3. Provides support for network connectivity or related network issues during the project engagement.
4. Plans and monitors the installation of network systems during the project engagement.
5. Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors. Recommends network design changes/enhancements for improved systems availability and performance.
6. Troubleshoots, diagnoses and resolves network problems. Researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any network deficiencies or to enhance network performance.
7. Ensures planned testing activities are performed and technical criteria are met.
8. Assesses network performance to ensure that it meets the present and future needs of the business. Provides network planning recommendations to management.
9. Knowledge of commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide network services, including: firewalls, IPS/IDS, DNS, DHCP, web security, TACACS+, VPN and NAC.
10. Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must have the ability to clearly document network designs, implementation plans and as-build final documentation package.
11. Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
• This position serves as a technical lead, to design technical solutions and coordinates with the staff to ensure timely and accurate implementation.
The person will be part of the two man team that will addressing the data center relocation. The tasks include:
• NOVEC Circuit activation
• Physical plant design for network
• Logical plant design for network
• Cable plan and BOM
• Staging of new equipment at ADC
• Racking and power up of equipment at ADC
• Configuration of equipment at ADC
• Integration of OTV link between WDC and ADC
• Integration and cabling for OTV router in WDC
• Configuration of WDC switching to support OTV
• Verification of seed switch network at ADC and WDC OTV synchronization
• Planning and migration of firewalls from WDC to ADC for each relocation stage
• Planning and migration of load balancers from WDC to ADC for each relocation stage
• Planning and migration of network attached security appliance from WDC to ADC for each relocation stage
• Planning and migration for Anue and Opnet appliance.
• AS built operational documentation capturing new data center build post relocation.
Must have Skills:
Cisco ASA firewall, NEXUS & Catalyst switch configuration and architecture
Data center networking experience
CCIE Data Center or routing/switching certified
Be able to work on location at Manassas office, Warrenton and Ashburn Data Centers
Experience in network design documentation and drawings.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
• Six to ten years of relevant IT work experience.
• Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP & CCIE) in Data Center and/or Routing and Switching
• Experience with enterprise network grade products to include: Cisco Nexus 7000, 6500, 4500, ACE, ASA and Juniper SRX
• Advanced knowledge of Cisco IOS & NX-OS; EIGRP, BGP, GRE and OSPF.
Nice to Have:
Juniper SRX firewall configuration
Work independently with limited direction
Provide Technical leadership for data center relocation